Thursday, March 6, 2014

Why You Must Be an Exchange Student

Six years had passed since the day I arrived on the United States of America. As an exchange student of Youth Exchange & Study program, I was so proud to introduce my own country amidst the American life. Indonesia is not widely known there, except for a small account of people who followed the news about Obama and his childhood in Jakarta. In fact, I had to struggle with two main things in the same time; first is struggling with my identity as a teenager, and the second is facing new culture that required boldness. From the day I entered the States I realize that I’ll be someone else after experiencing this amazing year.

And here I am right now.

I dare to say that without becoming an exchange student of YES my life won’t turn me into who I am right now. Deciding to study law at Universitas Gadjah Mada, the oldest and one of the best university in this country. Creating a youth movement for cultural awareness, so called LONTARA Project. Writing novel and songs, also initiating a wonderful musical group to preserve culture in modern way. Expanding knowledge and friendship with people from different nationalities. I must admit that my exchange year has given me guts to deal with those stuff. Being part of this program is one of the greatest experiences I’ve ever had. I'm so grateful to be part of World Class Citizen.

“If we cannot now end our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity.” – JFK, American 35th US President (1961-63), 1917-1963)


No comments: